The heat of July is a double-edged sword. Although we sweat and burn in the muggy and hot weather, the crops of summer flourish! An abundance of summer squash, corn, and fresh fruit emerges from our land. On the days that I don't feel like cooking and need some colorful freshness on my plate, I love to make salad with items from the summer harvest. This recipe is raw, vegan, and packed with flavor. The sweetness of the corn and the watermelon balance with zesty lime and spicy radish.
- 1 small watermelon (or three cups worth from a larger melon)
- Juice of two limes
- 1 large watermelon radish
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 small yellow summer squash
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Radish microgreens for garnish (optional)
- Cut off the ends of your watermelon, then stand on end and slice off remaining rind, leaving only the pink flesh of the fruit. Slice thinly and set aside.
- Cut off the end of the watermelon radish. Using a mandolin or a vegetable peeler, shave the rest of the radish into thin slices. Combine with lime juice in medium bowl and set aside.
- Remove the husks from the corn and cut off the kernels from the cobs.
- Peel the cucumber partially, removing about half of the skin. Use the peeler to shave long, thin slices of cucumber and summer squash.
- Assemble your salad! Start by arranging watermelon slices on a plate. Scatter small handfuls of corn and watermelon radish. Place pieces of summer squash and cucumber on top. Drizzle with olive oil and season with kosher salt. Add additional layers if desired. Garnish with microgreens.
Yields about 4-6 plates, depending on your portioning.