Summer's nice and all, but we LOVE when it starts to cool off! Now that the organic leeks are in from the farm, it's time to make potato leek soup. Our recipe is hearty and makes bellies happy! Enjoy.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds leeks, cleaned thoroughly and chopped (about 3 medium sized)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1.5 pounds red potatoes
- Handful of fresh thyme, destemmed OR 2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Cut all potatoes into bite size pieces.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add leeks, season with salt and pepper, and saute until translucent.
- Add the potatoes, thyme, and bay leaf, and pour in the stock.
- Cook over medium heat until the potatoes are tender. Remove from heat and stir in the cream.
- For a thicker soup, mash the potatoes with a masher or if available, use an immersion blender. This soup can be served immediately, however, the flavor deepens if chilled overnight. Love the leftovers!